Current Job Postings
Senior Design Architect
mcCallumSather is a leading multi-disciplinary firm based in Hamilton, Ontario with a special focus on sustainable design. We provide quality architecture, mechanical and interior design services through an interdisciplinary perspective and an integrated design approach.
MISSION: Enabling our clients to achieve their goals through sustainable, intelligent and creative design solutions
VISION: Improving the world by creating remarkable environments that evoke transformative experiences
ROLE: The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 7-10 years extensive experience with a specific focus and expertise in design of a variety of building typologies including both renovation and new construction. Reporting to and under the general supervision of a firm Principal, the Senior Architect will fulfill an essential role in the office by initiating design concepts that reflect the firm’s passion for bold and creative design that embraces sustainability as a fundamental principal.
- Strong leadership skills, working and communicating with a variety of people
- Strong problem solving, analytical skills and ability to resolve issues in a timely manner
- Experience with all phases of design including concept design, design development, working drawings and contract administration
- Excel in a team environment and ability to manage a team, maintaining project criteria and communicate it to project teams
- Excellent technical understanding of building systems and the OBC
- Experience in preparing agendas and leading client and stakeholder meetings
- Maintain effective communication with clients, contractors and authorities having jurisdiction
- Self-motivated and demonstrate high initiative
- Be comfortable participating in business development
- Clear understanding and application of sustainable design principles
- Understanding and development of contract agreements
- Actively participate in the process of developing design concepts and providing critical guidance and oversight to the development of the design and design development drawings, schedules and detail design
- Provide oversight to the development of construction documents to ensure the design intent is properly detailed
- Attend client meetings, presentations and subconsultant coordination meetings as required
- Ensure CAD / Revit Standards, quality assurance and quality control procedures are followed during drawing planning and production
- Lead the junior members of the project team and assign project duties as required while reporting to the Principal in Charge, mentor junior and intermediate staff in principles of design and building systems
- Have significant experience in and be capable of conducting Construction Administration duties, if required, including field reviews and coordination, review and issuance of Change Orders, Site Instruction, and Certificate for Payment, Clarifications, and RFI responses on an as required basis
- Coordinate project information and work with all internal and/or external disciplines including but not limited to architectural, electrical, mechanical, structural, civil, landscape architect, geotechnical and specialty consultants as required
- Have strong communication skills and ability to make effective presentations to clients and authorities
- Have demonstrated experience with making public presentations, participating in open houses and stakeholder engagement activities
It is essential to have a strong skill base in the utilization of the following software:
- Power Point
- MS Word
- MS Excel
It is also considered extremely useful to have experience with the following software applications:
- Microsoft Project
- 7-10 years of regional professional experience
- Strong design skills and portfolio of work
- Experience with public and private sectors
PREFERRED SECTOR EXPERIENCE
- Experience with one or more of the following specialties considered an asset: healthcare, research labs, post-secondary institutions, municipal facilities, transit and operational facilities, multi-unit residential, heritage, feasibility studies, master planning, functional programming
- Clear understanding of sustainable design principles and demonstrated delivery of projects that exemplify these principles
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS – EDUCATION / LICENSING / CERTIFICATION
Bachelor or Master’s Degree in Architecture from an accredited post-secondary institution
Intern member of the OAA, Licensed Architect, OAA
Please send your resume, covering letter and portfolio including salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We continue to grow in several sectors including healthcare, research, education, civic, as well as our rapid expansion into the private sector including multi-unit, high-rise developments.
Hamilton is a vibrant, growing community. Recently, our city has seen significant growth in the arts and culture community. Its easy access to transit, affordable cost of life and growing dining and entertainment scene is attracting more and more young professionals. It is an exciting place to be and mcCallumSather enjoys its place at the centre of the action.
We welcome the opportunity to work with young talent. We regularly provide work terms for high school and university students. If you are interested in joining our team as an intern, whether a high school or a professional level, please contact us to learn more about the criteria and how to apply. Learn more by emailing email@example.com.
YOUNG ARCHITECTS + DESIGNERS OF HAMILTON
The Young Architects of Hamilton (YAH) is a group of young Architects, Architectural Technicians, Interior Designers and other design professionals who live and/or work in the Hamilton area. YAH’s focus is to represent and promote the young and aspiring members of the architectural community in Hamilton. By facilitating conversations about how architecture and its many related fields can influence a community, YAH aims to help build up Hamilton’s bright future.
Sustainable Hamilton Burlington is a non-profit social enterprise in Ontario, Canada, dedicated to inspiring sustainability leadership in our business organizations for a healthier environment and thriving, prosperous communities.
We are active members of the Hamilton Burlington Society of Architects. The Hamilton/Burlington Society of Architects (HBSA) is comprised of members and affiliates from the local architecture community. The HBSA represents the Ontario Association of Architects (OAA) locally, providing communication, public relations and professional development for its members.
The Canada Green Building Council is a not-for-profit, national organization that has been working since 2002 to advance green building and sustainable community development practices in Canada. The CaGBC is the license holder for the LEED green building rating system in Canada and supports the WELL Building Standard and GRESB (Green Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark) in Canada. We are active members of the CaGBC, and have taken a leadership position on its Board.
We are proud members of the Canadian Association of Heritage Professionals. Drew Hauser is a designated CAHP professional and we have numerous associate members. The objectives of CAHP|ACECP, are to provide stewardship for cultural heritage resources, promote the highest standards of heritage conservation principled and practice, and to foster and promote public and legislative support for the conservation of heritage resources.
We are pleased to subsidize staff memberships for the SoBi Hamilton bike share program. We encourage our staff to use SoBi to travel to meetings and in our daily commute and are proud to support this innovative and successful bike share program that is so distinctive within our Hamilton Community.
We are excited to announce our newest membership, as Associate Member of the Scientific Equipment and Furniture Association.