Current Job Postings
Intermediate Construction Administrator
We are an exceptional company seeking exceptional teammates who bring their intelligence, creativity and drive. mcCallumSather is a leading multi-disciplinary firm based in Hamilton, Ontario with a special focus on sustainable design. We provide quality architecture, mechanical engineering and interior design services through an interdisciplinary perspective and an integrated design approach. We work in a dynamic team environment and offer significant opportunities for growth within the firm to those who strive to improve and expand their skills. This is an opportunity for creative team players looking to work in an amazing City where your contributions can make a difference. Hamilton is a vibrant community, with a growing population of young professionals and exciting arts, culture and culinary offerings. This mix makes it an appealing time to work in this City and be a part of mcCallumSather. Our team is dedicated to continuous learning and having fun.
MISSION: Enabling our clients to achieve their goals through sustainable, intelligent and creative design solutions
VISION: Improving the world by creating remarkable environments that evoke transformative experiences
The role of Intermediate Construction Administrator (CA) will involve performing traditional field and office CA duties under the supervision of senior personnel including senior contract administrators, project managers and project architects. The position involves understanding and promoting high-performance enclosures and sustainable design to facilitate the firm’s commitment to exceptional service delivery, design excellence and innovation. The CA will play an important role in the firm’s quality assurance/quality control processes in reviewing contract documents. The ideal candidate will have prior experience preparing contract drawings, specifications, schedules, detail design and sketches from conceptual design, and working on projects from tender to construction completion.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and interpret drawings and specifications
- Understanding of Sustainable Design principles and LEED requirements
- Understanding of construction contracts (CCDC2, 5B, 5A) and related roles and responsibilities on the site
- Experience with CAD drafting systems, AutoCAD and Revit with specific emphasis on the latter
- Knowledge of building science and enclosure systems
- Knowledge of building materials and building systems
- Ability to research materials, products and systems
- A clear understanding of construction sequencing
- Comprehensive knowledge of the OBC
- Understanding of accessibility requirements
- Provide construction administration functions for assigned projects on site and within the office including:
- Preparing documents for tender, issuance of addendum, review of Bids
- Preparing contract documents for execution
- Preparation and execution of pre-construction meeting
- Administering change control documentation and follow up
- Coordinating with the Client with regard to seeking/clarifying instructions in relation to the contract
- Experience in construction administration and related field/office CA responsibilities
- Maintain RFI, Shop Drawing, CCN, CD, SI, CO and submittal logs with supervision
- Be responsible for the receipt and timely reply to contractor’s requests (RFI’s)
- Review, track and manage A/E teams timely response to shop drawings
- Reviewing suggested alternative materials
- Attending site meetings
- Ability to effectively monitor and track construction schedules
- Preparing and issuing monthly field reports with supporting relevant documentation
- Reviewing the progress of the work for monthly progress payments, occupancy requirements, substantial performance and total performance
- Reviewing deficiencies and communicating with the contractor
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
- Work to and meet project timelines
- Work with and support senior and junior members of the production, LEED and design teams
- MS Word
- MS Excel
- Microsoft Project
- Knowledge of or ability to learn Bluebeam
- 4-7 years of regional professional experience in work directly related to construction administration
- Have a passion for the construction process and being on the site
- Experience with public and private sectors
- Experience with renovations/new construction varying in size from small to large
PREFERRED SECTOR EXPERIENCE
- Experience with healthcare, research labs, post-secondary institutions, municipal facilities, transit and operational facilities, multi-unit residential, heritage, feasibility studies, master planning, functional programming all considered an asset
- A clear understanding of sustainable design principles and demonstrated delivery of projects that exemplify these principles
- LEED Credentials (GA, BD+C)
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS – EDUCATION / LICENSING / CERTIFICATION
- Two or Three Year Technologist Diploma from a recognized College or
- Bachelor or Master’s Degree in Architecture from an accredited post-secondary institution or
- Engineering Degree from an accredited post-secondary
- Membership or eligibility for membership in the following: OAA, OAAA, PEO, AATO, BSSO, ARIDO
- Proof of AutoCAD and Revit experience and capabilities
- Hold a Valid Driver’s License and have a vehicle
Please apply by submitting your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Hamilton is a vibrant community, with a growing population of young professionals and exciting arts community. This mix makes it an appealing time to work in our City and be a part of mcCallumSather, a growing, integrated design firm with national exposure.
From renovation to new construction, small community initiatives to multi-million dollar, one-of-a-kind projects, mcCallumSather remains relentlessly focused on achieving our clients’ goals guided by a commitment to design excellence and sustainable solutions. Here you have the opportunity to be on the cutting edge of sustainable and net zero design, and precedent setting projects for both public and private sector clients. In addition to the chance to grow and challenge yourself, our team is dedicated to continuous learning and having fun in the process.
We are looking for a technologist, intern architect, architect or heritage professional in the Architectural Discipline, experienced in the conservation of historic buildings and sites. Focused on team work, our ideal candidate will be hands on in the development of a full range of heritage focused deliverables including work on site, writing reports and in delivering presentations.
Our heritage studio is quickly expanding, within the context of our firm’s broad range of projects, typologies and client types. Our projects include high profile heritage consultation and architectural conservation for The Tivoli Theatre & Condos, The Westinghouse Headquarters, Huck Glove and several other developments. Additionally, we have worked on notable heritage attractions including Dundurn Castle in Hamilton and McMaster University’s storied Phoenix Pub & Restaurant. Our heritage team is supported by a larger team, providing the new candidate with the opportunity to work on a variety of building typologies and projects of all scope and size.
- REVIT experience preferred
- Strong working knowledge of Adobe Creative suite – Indesign, photoshop, illustrator a bonus
- CAHP member preferred (Intern or full professional)
- 4 years minimum of relevant experience in an architecture or related conservation firm
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability working with teams
- Familiarity with heritage buildings, and knowledge of conservation best practices
- Lead and/or assist team members in design, contract documents and contract administration roles
managing a conservation project
- Technical drawing and detailing for contract document production
- Coordination of sub consultants
- Coordination and assembly of reports (Heritage Impact Assessments, Conservation Plans, Urban Design Briefs)
- Deliver presentations at Public Committees (Public Speaking and visual presentation)
- Field Review and Project Management skills
Please send your resume, covering letter and portfolio including salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We continue to grow in several sectors including healthcare, research, education, civic, as well as our rapid expansion into the private sector including multi-unit, high-rise developments.
Hamilton is a vibrant, growing community. Recently, our city has seen significant growth in the arts and culture community. Its easy access to transit, affordable cost of life and growing dining and entertainment scene is attracting more and more young professionals. It is an exciting place to be and mcCallumSather enjoys its place at the centre of the action.
Our intern program is currently closed until Fall 2020.
We welcome the opportunity to work with young talent and regularly provide work terms for students. If you are interested in joining our team as an intern, please contact us to learn more about the criteria and how to apply.